Monday, October 22, 2012

What? It's time already?!

Russell is getting his new cast this Thursday.  I can't believe how fast the time has gone.
He had his birthday last week.  It was so fun.  I made him cookies that spelled his name instead of a cake for his birthday.  I think he was happier that way.  He has never really liked cake, and none of our kids really like cake.  So the cookies were a better choice. We had hot dogs and macaroni and cheese, and beets for dinner.  More of his favorites.  And it's lots better to eat beets BEFORE the cast goes on :D.  He got some cars, a pumpkin, and weighted balls for his birthday.  The pumpkin and the weighted balls are for him to get more muscle tone with.  He carries the pumpkin around all over the place.  So cute.

And then we went swimming for the last time before this cast, for his birthday.  It was so fun.  He's finally getting used to the water.  He really enjoys swimming now.  When we first went with him 6 weeks ago, it was terrrifying to him.  He cried and hated it.  Now, he splashes and "jumps" right in!  It's nice to see that a love of water will come back again.

So this Wednesday, I'm driving down to UT, without Scott.  Yup, doing this one without my better half.  Trying to be really brave.  My mother is coming to the surgery with Russell and I, which is a huge blessing.  I"m so grateful we have family close.  The last time we were getting a cast on, I had thought Scott wasn't going to be able to come, and Scott's mom was willing to go with me.  I am so blessed with the family I married into, and with my own. 

I'm not worried about most of the process this time.  We've been through it 8 times with all of our kids, 4 times of those with Russell.  So I know what to expect, which takes a huge load off of my shoulders.  That knowledge is wonderful.  Russell does really well with the whole process, except for about 2-3 hours right after he wakes up that are REALLY bad, and then the rest of the day is no fun either.  But it's those 2-3 hours right after that have had me worried about doing it without Scott.    Russell has a very hard time coming out of anesthesia; he basically goes crazy and turns into this terror kid.  It's hard to watch when you know what a mellow kid he usually is.  Anyway, Scott will hold Russell and try to get him to eat while he is throwing those fits and screaming as he's coming out of anesthesia, which is one reason why I wanted him to come and was dreading doing this without him. However, last week I talked to the nurses about this aspect of the surgery, and they told me this week that we can change some of the drugs they give him so he wakes up calmer.  That got me doing a happy dance around my kitchen.  Yay!!! This gives me so much hope that it go smoother this time.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Happy dancing with you. (: We'll be praying for you all.

Linda said...

We are excited to see both of you TOMORROW! We're praying for you. I love you!

Belkycita said...

we will be praying.
love you.

Heidi said...

You are so brave! Whether you chose to learn that trait or not, you are a brave example to me. Happy, happy dance for the drug changes, indeed! I'm sorry I didn't know it was today. You have been on my mind for about the past week. I've felt I should email you, chat. Now I feel really badly that I kept forgetting. I was reminded numerous times by the spirit but alas, I am still human. Darn it!!! ;) If you ever need someone to go with you to surgeries, I will.