Thursday, July 19, 2012

Friday, April 6, 2012


Day 12

A couple of days ago, Russell woke up with a poopy and wet diaper (if you have a weak stomach, you may want to quit reading right now...) that leaked.
This was not a new occurence. Diapering in a cast is a real issue. It's really hard to keep a diaper on, because the cast goes down past his hips, and you don't want the diaper up over the cast (because what would be the point then. Really.), so you try to tuck it up under the cast. That doesn't work very well because the cast is REALLY REALLY tight. And you want the cast to stay dry...because it's super hard to clean and because of bacteria and mold, etc, the grossness factor. So what we do now is put a maxi pad along the front (tucked up underneath as much as possible, a pad along the back, disposable diaper tucked up as much as possible, with a green FLIP diaper shell for cloth diapers outside of that. The FLIP has snaps and it will fit up over the cast, and kind of hold the rest of the absorbent stuff up where it should be. So it's a process.
But anyway, back to a couple of days ago, when we were still figuring all this out, and didn't put the maxi pad in the front. So his diaper really really leaked bad. In the front and in the back. Soaked. So, I took all the wet stuff off. And then washed the knit-rite shirt and the inside of the cast with a cloth and mild baby soap. Which made it wetter, but it smelled better. Then I used a blow dryer on the cool setting to dry the shirt and the inside of the cast. Russell hates the sound of the blow dryer. It seems to really scare him. So he cries the whole time it's on. And it took 30 min to dry everything. After that, I put the whole "diaper" on him, got him dressed and then we went and had breakfast. It took about 45 min to take care of all of this. We've since figured out how to not leak into the cast (I hope) and it's worked for about 3 mornings now. That's the longest we've gone without any leaks. I shudder to think what the inside of his cast will look like by the time it's taken off. Yea, just don't think about it. Eww.

So I just thought I'd share this. Because it's not the first thing I would think about when I see a kid in a cast. And I was pretty sure you all needed educating in this area. Yup. Super helpful, I'm sure.

But also, because I think I take too much for granted in my life. I mean, at least we have all of those things. Especially the FLIP shell. I don't know what we'd do without it. And the blow dryer with a cool setting. We didn't have one with that feature until last week, when we realized it was ESSENTIAL. But it's nice to be able to speed up the drying process (but I still wish it was faster...) without burning my baby.

I am grateful for all the advice I got on diapering from the support group. There were lots of ideas there, which helped us figure out what would work best for us.

No comments: