Thursday, July 19, 2012

Monday, April 16, 2012


Thoughts

Russell is now just about as active as he was before the cast. He walks along furniture, and sometimes takes a step or two without holding on, walks on his knees, can go up and down stairs, etc. He still has trouble playing with anything on the floor (it's a little hard to reach) and he cannot climb onto chairs or couches, because he cannot bend at the waist. It's so nice to not be so worried about him now. He's getting back into being the cheery happy boy he was before. I cannot tell you how much relief this gives me. Soo much better now than two weeks ago. I wonder how much of this we'll have to go through with each new cast. It's more than just adjusting to another cast because every cast is different. Some casts get more correction than others. His curve could only go down to 19 degrees again in the next cast, or we might get more correction. The thing is, is that even though the x-rays show 19* and 0* right now, it will probably go back to where it was as soon as the cast is off. It just depends on how much he grows during each cast. But each one will be a little different, different pressure points, different effects on the lungs and digestive organs. This time, he had a lot of gas and burps and tummy pain, just due to the changes in his torso and the tight cast. We have to feed him lots of small meals throughout the day, because he WILL throw up if he eats too much at one time. There just isn't room in that tight cast. Yea, that happened one day. However, I think we're slipping into a routine finally, because things are really getting better. Mostly just because I am accepting it better, and I have a better outlook on our future this year. It's mainly due to me consciously deciding to have more positive thoughts about this. I'm trying.

6 comments:

Heidi said...
Hooray! So happy to hear it's going better. Congrats on choosing the positive thoughts, that can be hard. I'm proud of you.

Well, it seems my uneducated assumptions were just that, uneducated guesses! I thought that they would be able to keep his spine in place at 19* while they did the next cast, and that he'd always have a 19* curve. The fact that the effects and cast will change makes perfect sense. That's why they're the doctors and not me! Sorry that I temporarily misunderstood. ;)
Amy said...
Heidi-When I read your comment, that's when I knew I hadn't explained this part. I wish YOU were right!! But that unknown just makes this experience harder. We have a good feeling about this though, and I'm very hopeful that a year is REALLY all it will take. Thanks for being a wonderful sister and I am really glad that you understand a lot of what we're going through, that no one else does. It's so nice to have that. Although, I'm sad for you that you had to go through it too. Love you!
Cheryl said...
So glad to hear that things are getting better. And I hope none of the future casts require quite this much adjustment. (c:

My brain is a little slow these days, but I will keep thinking. The tea tree oil alone might be fine. I can't think of a reason why it would cause a problem with the cast, but I'll check just in case.
Amy said...
are you saying to put the oil inside or outside the cast? I'm thinking it would do more good inside, but they told us not to use any oils or soaps on him because it would soften his skin, potentially leading to pressure sores. What is tea tree oil anyway?
Linda said...
I'm so impressed with Russell! Isn't it amazing that he can return to himself (for the most part) in such a short time! I'm sure it wasn't a short time along the way, but I am amazed at his resiliency. And I'm so impressed with YOU! Your resiliency is what has helped him, I'm sure. Thanks for inspiring me. I love youj!
Cheryl said...
Okay, I think you might need to ask the staff there about this one. Essential oils are not quite the same as other oils. I actually use some on my face to treat my acne and they don't leave my skin feeling "oily" at all. So, I would think it's okay. They are antibacterial and antiviral (some like tea tree are also antifungal), which is why I think they'd be helpful with the smell. You can learn more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_tree_oil

No comments: